Finally Friday and Waiting for Irene
The entire East coast is bracing itself for Hurricane Irene. With its sustained winds of 112 miles per hour, Irene is packing quite a punch! Today is the calm before the storm for us here in the NY/NJ area. A chance to run out and get supplies like batteries, water and of course doggie treats! We could have 6 to 12 inches of rain here and for us that means water in our basement. Everything down there will have to be moved out of the way of the deluge! The only one that seems to be unaffected by all the hurricane news is Ozzie. He is already in hunker down mode on the couch. Though I can see a problem when he has to go outside to poddy. He is not going to be happy about the driving rain in his face! If only Ozzie knew how to use the toilet, but then he never would go outside if he did!
By the way, I made the Paw-mesan treats yesterday and they were good! At least that's Ozzie opinion. I tasted them and they are pretty good but need a little something else to boost the taste for human consumption! (like garlic & salt!)
I will leave you with some tips for hurricane preparation from the Red Cross.
- Get a three-day supply of water ready for each person on hand, along with food that doesn’t require refrigeration, flashlights, a battery-operated radio and a first aid kit.
- Plan routes to emergency shelters and register family members with special needs.
- Make plans for pets.
- Bring items inside that can be picked up by the wind.
- Turn the refrigerator and freezer to the coldest settings and keep them closed as much as possible so food will last longer if the power goes out.
- Turn off any propane tanks and unplug small appliances.
- Fill their vehicle’s gas tank.
- Close windows, doors and hurricane shutters. If hurricane shutters aren’t an option, close and board up windows and doors with plywood.