Thursday, October 8, 2009

Costume Quest and Candy Dangers!


I went the other day to one of the local Halloween stores that have been popping up in buildings that fell victim to the economy ( i.e. Circuit City, Tower Records ). I saw that there were few costumes left in the XL size category so in my desperation I grabbed a Yoda costume for Ozzie. I brought it home and my son Will and I tried it on him. Well with it's dangling fake arms and robe etc it was just too much costume and distraction for Oz! He attempted to bite the arms and wiggled his Yoda ears off. It was a good laugh for us! I guess that it is not going to work out! I have until the 15th to return it only for something else in the store. What that something else is I have no idea! That brings me to the subject of Halloween treats. As we are well aware that the day is going to be a candy bonanza and we have to keep a watch on the forever famished bulldog who will eat cardboard if it looks enticing enough! You may already know that chocolate can make a dog very ill, but there is another candy culprit that is very dangerous to dogs and cats. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used in sugarless gum and candies. When ingested by dogs and cats it causes a dangerous surge of insulin. At high doses it is believed to be toxic to the canine liver. Depending on the amount used in the product between 8 to 10 sticks of gum can kill a 65 pound dog. This dangerous drop in blood sugar can cause overall weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination and total collapse! Veterinary treatment needs to be seeked immediately! I found a pack of sugar free gum on my son's coffee table downstairs and almost had a conniption! Will is now fully educated on the dangers of Xylitol and how crazy his mother can be at times! ( I guess I went off a bit! ) Anyway I just wanted to pass that bit of knowledge along and I will now go back to the costume quest for Ozzie. Any suggestions out there?!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know anything about the sugarless gum and candy. Thanks for the advice.

    Mally

    ReplyDelete