Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ozzie Comes to Town Part Deux

I was given the number of the foster family where Ozzie would be over the weekend so I gave them a call. I got hold of Monty a person who loves dogs and volunteers his home for fostering rescues and owner of a Bulldog named Ruby ( a rescue ) and two Pugs and one French Bulldog. He had received Ozzie Friday evening from his family and had already fallen for him. " He is a big mush. A very sweet dog you are going to love him!" said Monty. "I will be around all weekend come and see him, and if it works out you may be able to take him home with you!" I was excited about the prospect and told him we could be there Sunday. When I got off the phone I told my husband who was interested but held reservations. "Look, if the dog doesn't like us and visa versa then we are not taking him!" Yeah, yeah all bark and no bite I thought!
It worked out that we would take my Dad with us because on the way to Monty's was the nursing home where his sister was a resident after suffering a stroke a couple of months prior. He was glad to go visit his sister but dubious about the dog. "Why do you want to get a dog now! It's such a inconvenience for you!" Dad grumbled. Nothing but nay sayers I thought! We set off that Sunday for our meeting with Oz. We dropped off my Dad at the nursing home who's parting words were "think with your heads not your hearts!" Well wasn't it all about ones heart when it came to a dog?! We would get lost a little on the way and argued a bit about the directions until Monty on the other end of the cell phone reeled us in. We pulled up to a lovely 2 story colonial and standing outside was Monty. Come in and I will introduce you to Ozzie. We went through the kitchen out to the yard which was nicely landscaped with a little kiddie pool for the doggies. "I will bring him out" said Monty. Mark shot me a guarded look as to say be cool and lets see! Well charging out came Ozzie and the rest of the clan. Ozzie ran right to Mark and "jumped" up on him! Well needless to say he had my husband at the first hello! He is beautiful exclaimed Mark! Can we take him home today?! ( So much for playing it cool! ) So we signed the paperwork made out the check to the Rescue ( yes there is an adoption fee that goes to help support the continued efforts of the Rescue ) and we were off to life with Oz (all 73 Lbs of him)! We stopped at the nursing home on the way back to get Dad. Ozzie was in the back seat with me in the car as my Dad entered the passenger side. "Why that is the ugliest dog, are you sure you want him?!" I know that in my father's head a "real dog" is a Collie or a Golden Retriever! "Dad, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in our eyes he is a real beauty!"

No comments:

Post a Comment